Steak and Onion
- 2 large onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter (divided)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1 pound ribeye steak or your favorite cut, approximately 3/4 inch thick
- 3 and 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 fresh thyme stalks (or rosemary if you like)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
About 30 minutes before cooking, remove the steak from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.
Heat 1 tablespoon of clarified butter in a large frying pan. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to caramelize, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Add 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar to taste and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside while the steak cooks.
Pat the steak dry with paper towels and brush with a little clarified butter to taste. Heat a medium-sized iron skillet and add the steak. Cook for about 1 minute on each side, then add the remaining clarified butter, garlic, thyme, and balsamic vinegar. Fry for about 1 more minute on each side, turning once, until a nice brown crust forms.
Once it’s cooked to your liking, transfer it to a plate and cover it with aluminum foil. Let stand for 5-6 minutes, then slice and serve with caramelized onions.